Thursday, January 19, 2012

Excessively Formal and not at all satirical Introduction

Mandatory Link

Having decided upon reflection that the prior version of this document was unsuitable for publication, I have decided to simply erase it and start anew.


Sadly, there being little of worth to talk about, as those thoughts or actions of worth to talk about would land me in jail, this introduction will necessarily be bland and tasteless. That said, I will nonetheless strive to at least meet the basic requirements of a "post," which will credit me for one of the 5 minimum necessary. Shame I forgot about the requirements, having thought them unimportant at the time, something about book reports, or something.


As one might have noted by now, I have a propensity to be rather sesquipedalian while typing. Fortunately, I do, in fact, know what those words mean, so when I use "big words," I don't feel idiotic when I read what I typed afterwards. Implication through omission.


So yeah, Edmond Dantes, he's a swell dude, buys islands and not afraids of anything. Also the titular Count of Monte Cristo, possessing a fortune roughly the twice the size of continent he resides in, and is also a vampire. Long story short, he was framed and imprisoned, got a decent university level education at said prison, and tripped over a rock after he escaped, thus discovering a fortune which enabled him to travel the world and then completely screw over his enemies, who have all conveniently gathered at Paris. Can anyone say plot convenience? And ... that's it, really, the whole 1000 page volume exists simply to tell that story which I managed to summerize in two sentences. The thousand or so pages not used to tell that succinctly stated tale are all simply filler, admittedtly filler of the highest quality, one rarely even notices that one isn't even reading about anything remotely related to the plot in any way.

6 comments:

  1. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, so, bored, yet, so, occupied. One would think that being occupied in an activity would mean that the mind is occupied and therefore not bored, therefore it is quite apparent that what I am currrently doing is an unoccupying activity. In the interests of doing more such comment as quickly and efficiently as possible, I am writing for a quota here after all, I am currently researching the lowest amount of effort I can put into a comment and still have it recongnized as a comment towards the weekly total.

    ---K. Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that was………..interesting. LOL. While most of this blog was quite comical and opinionated, I liked how you did discuss the novel’s structure and criticized it. I have never read this book, but I feel that many stories do the same thing as well (make their stories very long when it is not needed). I sense that many authors may do this to make their stories seem more interesting from the outside. When I personally see a big book, I think, “This is probably way too complex for me,” while in reality much of the book is just dragging of the plot. While lots of detail can make the scene being portrayed clearer, it doesn’t necessarily affect the overall message of the story. I think that many novels can still be considered literature for people of higher intelligence without all of the excess nonsense.
    -Summer Quintana, Orange Chicken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three words can sum up my thoughts on this post (with a sprinkle of text emotions): Oh, My, Gosh! XD

    This post was an amazing start to this little journey that we're taking. I can honestly say that I laughed. Hard. Looking at this work, I don't really intend on reading mainly because I grow tired of the redemption stories that I watch, listen, and read about virtually every week. I hope no one takes offense to any of our comments and starts up a "flame thread"! ROFL

    Best luck to all posters, readers, writers, and innovators!
    -D. Lim, The Hot Wings

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post actually made me laugh because, although we don't hear much of your opinion in class, it certainly comes out through this post. It was very insightful and so far the only post I have seen criticizing the work. It was very interesting to read and gave an unusual perspective. However, I did enjoy it as it was not as menial as some of the other posts and that I look forward to reading the next one you post.

    -Kevin W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you were right about me not knowing half of the words you ssaid in the first part of your post, but somehow I basically got what you were saying from it. So what I'm getting is you read an 1000 page book and didn't like it because the plot could be summarized in two sentences. That sucks. And I hope you find a better/shorter book next time!

    -Lauren Be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actully the book was good, the main plot was easily summarized. But of the thousand pages, maybe ... 200 pages can be considered to be devoted to the main plot, it's closer to simply a collection of short stories set in the same universe. So the bit about 1000 pages all being used to tell a story I summarized in 2 setences wasn't really a complaint, especially since I've just recently finished its inverse, a thousand page book all focused on central and extremely ... idiotic idea. Which I may or may not write about later.

    K. Lin

    ReplyDelete