Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Age of Innocence

As I continue reading through "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton, a nineteenth century novel about a power couple in upper class New York facing the pressures and expectations of society in the late 1800's, I realize how similar the social elements in that of two centuries ago are similar to those of today. May Welland and Newland Archer are engaged while living in New York, experiencing the high standards that society holds them up to in order to look presentable and better than the average person so that egos would be crushed and people wouldn't gossip. Image appears to be everything for the upper class families. The couple experience drama throughout the novel centered around how important their relationship is and how well the families would look, I'm currently reading about how they're announcing the big event to their friends and relatives, and how the two are trying to make everything according to perfection.

Although the story takes place more than two hundred years ago, the same societal rules still apply to present day. Each day at school, students are urged to look and act their best, or even differently than they're used to in order to attract people towards them. However, that is not always the case, there are some students prove to themselves and their peers that image isn't everything, and comfort is more of a preference for them. While reading the novel, I was reminded of a quote from the movie "Easy A", when the main character says, "People either blend in, or decide not to care." Although most people choose to care about their presence in front of others, I've learned that it's also important to pay attention to personal feelings and if I am okay with what I surround myself with.

As Archer and May spend their days in New York as a couple passing the days lovestruck, I'm curious to read what happens next in this dramatic novel.

12 comments:

  1. Carleen-

    I find your post very interesting and agree that society has and seemingly will always hold us to a certain status quo. In high school especially, the pressures of having the best, looking the best, and being the best can be overwhelming at such an age. Your quote from "Easy A" correctly painted the portrait of the typical high school mentality. However, do you think it is possible to ever fully shun the thoughts of your peers; although most try to live for themselves and "decide not to care", are we able to completely disregard our peers thoughts and pressures along with society or do we forever have an ear listening to voices of reason?

    -Jasmine C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also currently reading this book and I am finding Newland Archer and May Welland to be rather pretentious. All they care about is what society thinks and it irks me to read. It starts off in the first scene of the novel and continues throughout the rest. Let's hope that eventually one of the two(probably Archer) will do something that society would talk about.


    -Debby T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our society has always and for the most part, will always have an ear listening to the voices of reason. I don't think anyone will fully be able to disregard our peers thoughts and pressures because deep down inside we want to be accepted by the people we are surrounded by. If we don't have people commentate or critique us in either a positive or negative way, then how will we know if we're doing something right or if we need improvement? Listening to voices of reasons seems negative in a high school scenario but it can also portray positive results.

    Amanda A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly our society, and the society set up in the novel, is solely concerned with status and reputaion. When deciding if "we're doing something right or if we need improvement," considering what others thing is falling into the traps of "keeping up with the Jones'." In my opinion self improvement and self recognition should come from exectly who it is affecting; thyself. I choose to make my decisions based on what i feel is right and wrong rather than what others expect me to do. In reality, we all live our lives differently, some groveling for the acceptance of others, and some deciding to live life without a care of what is expected by others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carleen!!!(:
    I find it interesting that even though the book was written over 200 years ago, the same rules apply to today's society. But I feel as though with wealth, comes publicity. Even in today's society, all eyes are on those who are rich and powerful, so they are always in a spotlight. Yet when it comes to us in high school, those who yearn for the that light, attract it but for all the wrong reasons. I completely agree with you on doing what makes you most comfortable. After all, in a few months, none of the people in high school will really matter to us anymore.

    Miriam Rizk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasmine-

    I agree with you, youth is an age when kids and teenagers are easily influenced with their surroundings and peers in order to be the best and prove to others as well as themselves that they want to be accepted by the masses. However, I don't think it will ever be possible to fully disregard our peers, because we are always involved in society and the people around us. Originality is almost impossible to accomplish, however I think the Bible is the only original source, like we had to analyze certain biblical chapters for homework over the summer. Although, I do believe that we as people are able to make our own decisions and can think for ourselves.

    -Carleen R

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also reading this novel and at first I found it to be slightly boring, but now I am hooked. I am almost half way through the book and I like how Newland defends Ellen, but I feel like he sometimes does things that he shouldn't because he is already engaged to May. I am also interested in watching the movie after I finish the book.

    -Jamie N.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jamie-
    Sometimes books are like that. They are boring and lame at first but then when we least expect it they grab our attention and we are then unable to let go of the book. also it's great that you decided to watch the movie AFTER rather than before reading the novel. Smart move. Just remember that often movies do not meet our expectations set up by reading the novel.

    Toni G.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone. Obviously society has a major influence on us. We are always looking for other people's approval. Otherwise plastic surgeons wouldn't be in business. And high school has to be one of the biggest places that a person gets judged. Think about it, we even have catagories that represent this idea in the yearbook. We have best eyes, best hair, best smile, and so on. Now I am not at all discrediting the yearbook because I love having yearbooks and finding out who won in these catagories just like everyone one else, and we are not the only school that does this. It just goes to show that we are constantly judging each other whether it be consciously or subconsciously.
    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie-

    They made the book into a movie? I really need to watch that! I'm curious how different the film would be from the printed words in the novel. I agree with Toni, it's smart to read the book first and then watch the movie. Films tend to ruin the feel of the novel at times, because they don't fully capture what the author wanted to portray to their audiences. However, they do give a better visual on the characters and plot in the story.

    -Carleen R

    ReplyDelete