Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What I Read That Mattered

By senior year in High School, I have probably read more books, novels, poems, plays and short stories to last a lifetime. Between the mandatory works of Steinbeck to my pleasure read poems of Hughes, I have had my favorites and least favorites in definitely. But the one thing that has stuck with me since the day my eyes grazed such a beautiful poem is so much higher than all of the others. The Seven of Pentacles by Marge Piercy was introduced to my fourth period English class by Mrs. Elliot the first day of school senior year and I can honesty say I have not been the same since.  The many questions that come along with being in high school and being less than a year from my future University campus, it could not have came at a better time. Its constant theme of fate, destiny, and owning responsibilities set me in the mood for senior year. I was driven by being the best “gardener” I could be, planting my very best self, and waiting for the harvest to come. Above it all, it was one line that forced me to stare all of my insecurities in the face and rise upon them; “Live as if you loved yourself”. Never has a quote influenced me as much as this had. It sums up the many emotions I have had to deal with and reminds me what should matter the most. Piercy’s poem hits home. Each and every time I re-read it, I always take away something that I haven’t before and open up a new door of possibilities. With the end of senior year and graduation around the corner, the Seven of Pentacles will always have a place in my heart and inspires me to always live as if I love myself.

-Jasmine C

5 comments:

  1. I must admit, although the poem as a whole did not impact me as much as it did you that very line has stayed engraved in my mind since the very first day of school. I believe that it is extremely important that during hard times, when we feel as if the whole world is out to get us, we need to love ourselves and accept our flaws.
    -Secada C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main issue I take with the formulation of: "Live as if you loved yourself" is that it implies 1, loving oneself and living is somehow a distinct branch from living as if one loved oneself, and 2, that living as if one loves oneself is sufficient. That is, being in fact does not entail that one is in name, and that being in name somehow results in the right outcome. Of course, I have no problem with that philosophically, but it is odd to see a phrase which seems to preach hypocrisy, which I only practice.

    K. Lin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the line that you live by now. I never really analyzed myself until I read that line. It took that long for me to realize that I love myself, so that poem also did matter to me.

    -Jonathan S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem also had an impact on me. It really made me think about my life and what I was doing with it. As a senior in high school, it awakened me to the idea of being accountable for myself and my life.

    Debby T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem really impacted me as well. I remember reading it and thinking about all the messages it conveyed. I believe that this poem will always be a constant reminder to be the best I can be. It is very motivating. I think I will always remember it.
    Irene S.

    ReplyDelete