Monday, May 7, 2012

Dracula: Better than Twilight?

After the numerous vampire books (Twilight, Vampire Academy, Marked, Vampire Shrink, Vampire Diaries, etc) I have read, I'm finally reading Dracula by Bram Stoker.

I initially chose this book to fulfill the 19th century novel requirement and Dracula seemed much more interesting than the other classic books. So far, I like the book. It's really interesting reading a book that I have so much prior knowledge about. Dracula set the standard for a classic vampire: sleeps in a coffin at night, no reflection in the mirror, and, of course, sucks blood. Modern vampire novels never fail to point out that the new vampires are not like Dracula. In Twilight, when Bella went over to Edwards house, he reminded her that they do not sleep in coffins (insert awkward Bella laugh). The most important detail in Dracula that makes it so different from modern vampire novels is the atmosphere and mood of the story. Jonathan Harker, the prisoner of Dracula, is scared out of his mind; he is not captivated by the vampire's extraordinary beauty nor under some mystical spell. After all, I'd be pretty scared too if a vampire was going to suck my blood and slowly kill me. Furthermore, the author does a good job of this scary mood. It feels like I'm in some horror movie. While I'm reading the book, I imagine that I am locked up with Jonathan too and when I hear the door unlock and open by Dracula I feel fear.

P.S. The Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead are still the best vampire novels ever written.

-Stephanie Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment